BAWAC Community Rehabilitation Center began in March 1973 as a unit of the Northern Kentucky Mental Health-Mental Retardation Regional Board with support and assistance from the Boone County Association for Retarded Citizens. The legal name of the company is BAWAC, Inc...
A volunteer Board of Directors assumed responsibility for the program from the regional Board in 1975. At the same time the facility moved to its present location in the Northern Kentucky Industrial Park.
In response to client need, BAWAC expanded the facility in 1985 with funding provided by the Northern Kentucky Association for the Retarded. Facility expansion again occurred in 1989 by a grant from the Kentucky Department of Vocational Rehabilitation.
Throughout the years BAWAC has expanded and developed new programs to meet the needs of people with disabilities and/or barriers to employment in our community.
BAWAC is a private, non-profit, 501(c)(3) corporation whose policies and goals are determined by a volunteer Board of Directors. This volunteer board is an active cross section of the community.
BAWAC receives funding through fees for service from the following:
- Kentucky Department of Vocational Rehabilitation for services to eligible clients.
- Northern Kentucky Mental Health-Mental Retardation Regional Board Inc., with funds from the Kentucky Department for Mental Health and Mental Retardation Services.
- Boone, Kenton and Campbell County Fiscal Courts from the Mental Health Mental Retardation tax revenues.
- United Way & Community Chest of the Greater Cincinnati Area.
- Kentucky Department of Medicaid Services for services to clients eligible for the Supports for Community Living Program.
- Contributions from community groups and organizations, individual donations and memorial gifts.
- Revenue from production activity.
To maximize the vocational potential and quality of life of adult persons with disabilities or other barriers to employment, through the flexible integration of counseling, evaluation, life and work skills training, job placement, support services and employment in a therapeutic or community based remunerative work environment.
To provide people with disabilities or barriers to employment with:
- A socially accepted pattern for daily living and an opportunity to develop personal skills to adapt to adult life.
- An opportunity to develop vocational skills through work.
- An alternative to institutionalization by creating a "normal" model of living and working.
- An opportunity to advance to other training programs or competitive industry.
- A work facility for those requiring continuing services with employment.
BAWAC is open from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. Current service areas include:
- Vocational Evaluation to assess the potential, limitations, interests and assets of the individual, to determine appropriate vocational goals.
- Community Based Adjustment & Work Transition: to provide preparation and training designed to assist the individual in obtaining and maintaining competitive community jobs and school to work transition.
- Supported Employment & Employment Maintenance to provide placement and long term follow-up services to help the individuals maintain competitive jobs in the community.
- Work Services to provide training, instruction and supervision in work and work related skills and to provide transitional and sustained employment with access to services.
- Community Support Services & School Transition Program: to provide training in self help, communication, interpersonal, social and vocational skills that are necessary in developing optimal personal functioning within the community.
Please call the BAWAC Client Services Department if you would like more information on eligibility and admission procedures.
- The minimum age is 16 years old.
- The applicant must be disabled due to developmental disability, injury or illness and /or be experiencing significant barriers to employment.
- Individual programs may have more specific requirements.
Phone/TDD: 859-371-4410 Fax: 859-371-1726 General e-mail: email@example.com